Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Home Decor Canvas Project

I made this canvas as part of my final Craft Warehouse assignment as our design team term comes to an end.  :( 

For this project we were asked to feature the 4" foam alphabet craft stamps on a Canvas project along with the Tim Holtz Resist Kraft Paper, Distress Stain (I had Fired Brick) and his mini plaquettes. In addition to these supplies, we were also asked to use the clothes pin, burlap ribbon and Flower and some canvas and burlap tags

For my foam letters I stamped them with versafine black ink on the backside of some of the Tim Holtz Resist Kraft Paper.  I like how this ink give crisp clean lines and a true black color.  For the rest of the title I used some American Crafts Thickers.  I accidently started to apply them too low on the canvas and when I tried to pull them up, they pealed off my paint so to cover my mistake I added the line of black cardstock.  Wasn't part of my original design, but it turned out to be a happy accident--My daughter says it's her favorite touch.  :)

As much as I love many of Tim Holtz's products, he and I have very different styles so I tried my best to take these materials and interupt them in my own unique way.  I had just been inspired by watching this season's Design Star on HGTV (for those who don't have HGTV, you can see the full length episodes online here). 

Anyway, I took inspiration from their white box challenge and used 1" blue painters tape to create bold stripes for the bottom part of my canvas project.  Before doing this the top of the project felt visually heavy and I like how adding the bold black stripes to the bottom balanced it out.  Unfortunately the paint was a little runny and bled through a bit, but the tan was a custom mixed color so I'm doing my best to ignore it.  ;)





Rather than using the Canvas and Burlap tags as they were, I took them apart, stained them black and red and then diecut them into circles and the heart (and put a little bit peaking up behind the "o" and "e". That Distress stain is so cool, but I felt like I was at the site of a brutal murder with the fired brick and my stained hands (I admit I watch too many Crime dramas). :)

Thanks for stopping by.  Make sure to drop back in when I post my final two layouts I created for this assignment. 

Supplies:
Kraft Paper- Tim Holtz Kraft Resist Paper Pad
Black Cardstock- Bazzill Basics
4" Foam Alphabet Stamp Set- Creative Café
Burlap Flower- Canvas Home Basics
Burlap & Canvas Tags- Canvas Home Basics
12x12 Canvas- Sierra Pacific
Black Foam Alphas- American Crafts
White Crocheted lace- American Crafts
Pearl Brad- American Crafts
Heart Die- Sizzix Tim Holtz Mover & Shapers
Border Punch- Martha Stewart
Tim Holtz idea-ology Numeral plaquettes
Ranger Fired Brick Red Distress Stain
Glue- Beacon’s 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue
Black Ink- Versafine Onyx Black
Paint- Ceramcoat (and 1" blue painters tape)
White Embroidery Floss- DMC
Other: Clothespin, burlap ribbon and jute cording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...